Monday, January 25, 2010

No one knows her, but Dar Williams rules...

I've had this song on the brain all day...

How I long to fall, just a little bit
To dance out of the lights and
to stray from the light
But I fear that to fall in love with you
is to fall from a great
and gruesome height.
So you know I asked a friend about it
on a bad day, her husband had just left her
and she sat down on the chair he'd left behind
she said, "What is love? Where did it get me?
Whoever thought of love is no friend of mine."

Once I had everything - I gave it up
for the shoulder of a driveway and
the words I never felt
But for you, I came this far
across the tracks
10 miles above the limit and with no seatbelt,
and I'd do it again
For tonight I went running
through the screen doors of discretion
when I woke up from a nightmare
that I could not bear to see
You were wandering out on the hills of Iowa
and you were not thinking of me

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No one knows her? Are you serious!?

Tuesday said...

No one I know does - everytime I play her stuff, everyone around me is like, "who IS that?" In a good way... Of course I could just be hanging around with idiots.