Sunday, January 18, 2009

Inspiration...Not

Why is it easy to blog, but not finish a chapter? Of course, I might as well ask why it's easier to landscape the yard, build a car from scrap metal, organize my closet by color and year, finish seven scrapbooks, and learn high German than write any part of my book. It just is.

When I started this blog I thought it would serve as a great warm up to the "real" stuff, and a safe place to test out some ideas and material. But it seems to have taken on a life of its own, and I keep having more fun writing it than the book. (Plus I keep finding other people's blogs to help waste more of the time that I have so much of, what with the job and the kids and the science lab and the law firm and the recording studio...) Sigh. I must get back on track.

The baby iPod is still alive, thanks for asking. (Again, instead of writing)...I've loaded 150 songs on it, created two playlists and ran approximately 12 miles so far without killing it. Feeling pretty good about this, which means I'll undoubtedly drop her in the reservoir the next time I'm out. (Also discovered that the world's best running song is the Uninvited's Ordinary Man -- which no one except a few other hard-core fans has ever heard, so their secret is probably safe with me and I can use it to someday win the Boston marathon.) But seriously -- have you seen the Southwest commercial where the guy actually throws the wii controller INTO the TV, which explodes and then crashes off the wall? Genius. I've never seen a commercial that quite so perfectly captures my relationship with technology.

Oy. A little scattered tonight, aren't we? But I did just spend four days nonstop with the parental units, so I should probably be grateful I have any coherence left at all. Or sanity. FOUR days listening to my father ask my husband about his business (but not me) and my mother describe in detail what food was served at/what she wore to every party she has attended since Thanksgiving. I have some thoughts percolating around relationships (i.e. the difference between "caring for" and "taking care of", among other things) that have to do with my observations over the last four days, but they're not quite ready to emerge yet. Maybe tomorrow night.

Sometimes there isn't nearly enough wine.

1 comment:

brian said...

...and here I always thought the bet running "song" was Prodigy's Smack my Bitch Up.

About this blog thing(y)...careful or it will consume you. You'll be sitting at the computer one night in your boxers (or someone's boxers), checking your site logs and feverishly updating links so that your 4.57 loyal viewers won't get bored and go watch Friends reruns.

BTW, that Southwest commercial is capital-G Genius...not to mention something that would happen when my parents were gone for a week...except it would have been an Atari controller, I suppose.

I'm eagerly awaiting the emergence...guten abend.